National Bed Month runs annually during March.
Its aim is to increase awareness of the impact of your bed’s effect on your mood and wellbeing as part of a healthy lifestyle.
So, if you’re not getting your best night’s sleep, despite trying all the tricks in the book, the culprit could actually be your bed and mattress … and we can help.
Take 5 minutes to give your headboard, bed and mattress a full MOT, reveal and fix any issues and understand how your bed may be affecting your sleep.
Inspect your bed
Take a look at your bed – is it showing signs of age or wear and tear?
- Are the legs still strong, secure and in the correct position?
- Are there any flaws (dirt or holes) in the upholstery?
- If you have a platform bed, are the platforms in good condition?
- If you have a slatted base, are any of the slats broken or squeaky?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may need to run some simple maintenance. If squeaks or noises from your bed keep you awake, tighten joints, tighten legs and replace dodgy slats.
According to the National Bed Federation “After 7 years, a bed has been subjected to around 20,000 hours of hard labour and may have deteriorated by as much as 70% from its ‘as new’ state.”
If your bed is looking a bit sad and tired (like it’s owner, maybe?), treat yourself to a new one – especially if it is 7 or more years old. Browse our range of luxury upholstered beds.
The same goes for your mattress.
Survey your mattress
Easily the biggest culprit of a bad back in the morning or a bad nights sleep. Your mattress should be your best friend … if any of the following apply, take action!
- Does your mattress have any dips or lumps/bumps?
- Is the stitching and fabric still in good condition?
- Is there a musty smell?
- Do you wake up with any aches and pains?
If your mattress is turnable, turn it. This ensures even wear and gives the mattress a chance to recover on the most used side.
If there is an odd or unpleasant smell, sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the mattress and leave it for an hour. Then, use the vacuum to remove the bicarb for a sweeter smelling sleep experience.
Mattress and pillow protectors should be washed at this time or replaced for new ones.
If you wake up unrefreshed or with aches and pains frequently, your mattress may need replacing altogether. Consider the Sark Mattress from us – it’s the ‘Rolls Royce’ of mattresses, available in single to emperor sizes as a one or two piece mattress.
Check your headboard
Now is the time to take a look at your headboard and do a few checks so you can enjoy another 12 months of restful sleep.
- If your headboard is fitted using wooden struts, are the plastic headed bolts still tight?
- Inspect real wool for any signs of moth damage.
- Inspect your headboard of wear.
- If you have a buttoned headboard are the buttons still secure?
- Take a look at the general condition of your headboard – has it seen better days?
Your headboard should be the focal point of your room, not the reason for your gloom! Shop amazing upholstered headboard designs that you can customise and find your perfect look with The Headboard Workshop. Start with what you know – the size you will need, and then get inspired by the wonderful array of shapes, finishes and fabrics available.
In summary, running a few basic checks and looking after your upholstered headboard and bed will keep them looking smart and doing their job properly.
Need some headboard cleaning and upkeep advice? Read our blog about looking after your headboard.